New Found Gap

New Found Gap

Saturday, October 30, 2010

God Showing Off





Part of what I get to do with college guys as a campus missioner is take them on journeys into the mountains. Today some students from Knoxville College went with me to see the mountains as the leaves continue to explode in colors. It was good for these guys to get off campus. They don't have cars, so all they see of their home away from home is their campus world. Wayne is a freshman from London, Bobbyson is from Haiti, and Joram is Rwandan. I was wondering how they would enjoy a drive in the mountains. Would it be boring? I mean when I was kid (granted I was a lot younger than these guys) my folks would take me for a drive in the mountains and all I remember is begging to go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The trees and the mountains just did nothing for me. I needn't have worried. These guys were hungry for new sights and God just plain showed off today. We saw Newfound Gap and Oconoluftee Farm, which is a museum of what a 19th century farm would look like. After the farm it was over to Cherokee NC for a lunch at Garlic Knotts in Maggie Valley. We didn't have any deep spiritual conversations, we just drove and looked, and drank in what God was doing in the leaves and trees, the valleys and peaks and I was told by each that it was a perfect day, the best day ever. It was some time, a little gas, and basically just each of us showing up. God did the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment